1. an act or instance of commencing; beginning: the commencement of hostilities.
2. the ceremony of conferring degrees or granting diplomas at the end of the academic year.
3. the day on which this ceremony takes place.
Today is the day that my first-born child will walk across the stage in a white cap and gown and have a diploma placed in her hand. Am I really old enough to have a child graduating from high school? I know I’ve done A LOT of living, but seriously….I DO NOT know how this happened.
I will try to find a moment at the end of the day to write about how amazing she is and all about the great life she has ahead of her. But for now I had to take a moment to document a couple of items of significance…
1) On this exact date in 2009 I paced my kitchen and cleaned every speck of dust I could find while waiting for a phone call from my doctor. The phone rang. I answered it. She said, “blah, blah, blah,… I can’t explain it, but YOU’RE CANCER FREE!” God will always get all of the glory!!
2) I like living.
3) Even though I just celebrated 42 years of living this past Saturday, I don’t feel old enough for this graduation to actually be happening.
We have 100lbs of live crawfish waiting to be boiled, 3 gallons of sauce and meatballs in the roaster, waterproof mascara will soon be applied, and the kleenex are packed in my purse.
Let the living commence.